ABET Code of Ethics of Engineers
THE FUNDAMENTAL PRINCIPLES
Engineers uphold and advance the integrity, honor and dignity of the
engineering profession by:
- using their knowledge and skill for the enhancement of human welfare;
- being honest and impartial, and serving with fidelity the public, their
employers and clients;
- striving to increase the competence and prestige of the engineering
- supporting the professional and technical societies of their disciplines.
THE FUNDAMENTAL CANONS
- Engineers shall hold paramount the safety, health and welfare of the
public in the performance of their professional duties.
- Engineers shall perform services only in the areas of their competence.
- Engineers shall issue public statements only in an objective and truthful
- Engineers shall act in professional matters for each employer or client
as faithful agents or trustees, and shall avoid conflicts of interest.
- Engineers shall build their professional reputation on the merit of their
services and shall not compete unfairly with others.
- Engineers shall act in such a manner as to uphold and enhance the honor,
integrity and dignity of the profession.
- Engineers shall continue their professional development throughout their
careers and shall provide opportunities for the professional development of those
engineers under their supervision.
*Printed with the permission of ABET.